MEMBERSHIP UPDATE - MARCH 20, 2020
Friday, March 20, 2020
As you all know by now, Governor Wolf issued a state-wide business closure order on March 19, 2020. The order will have wide-ranging impact on our members and our contractors. In order to help our members during this trying time, the following actions have or are being taken:
* The Welfare Fund Trustees have sped up the disbursement date for vacation checks to May 1, 2020 from the usual June disbursement date. All checks will be mailed to your home; there will be no in-person check pickup.
* The Trustees are also preparing an amendment to the Supplemental Retirement Plan (SRP) that will allow for a one-time additional (second) withdrawal from your SRP account. This modification will allow for a second SRP withdrawal in the 2020 calendar year only.
* Pension checks will continue to be processed to our retirees as normal.
* If you become unemployed during this crisis, the Welfare Fund Trustees can assure you that there will be no interruption in medical coverage for you and your family. Thankfully, based on decisions made by your Trustees, the Health & Welfare Fund has suitable reserves to cover us through trying times such as we are experiencing now.
* As you know from previous communications, all Local 420 meetings and events are postponed, including the April 7, 2020 meeting for the ratification, and allocation of, the MCA and SCA contracts. Once the COVID-19 pandemic eases and we return to normalcy, we will notify you of a rescheduled date. Until then, we will work under a contract extension with the M&SCA on a month-to-month basis.
* The Training Center will remain closed until further notice.
* We are studying the new Families First Coronavirus Response Act which may provide some of our members with paid sick leave. Pennsylvania has also relaxed some of the rules governing unemployment compensation insurance so that claimants can now receive benefits from the date they are unemployed rather than the usual rule which does not provide benefits during that first week (please note that you probably won’t get your first benefit check for about 4 weeks). Pennsylvania has also suspended work search and work registration requirements for unemployment compensation claimants.
* The leadership and staff of Local 420 will continue to work remotely to the extent possible. Although not ideal, we will continue to serve the membership as best as we can.
* If you need to add your name to the Out-of-Work (OWL) list, please dial (267) 350-4200 x111 and leave your name, book number, and layoff date.
* The application deadline for the Scholarship Fund has been extended to June 15, 2020, due to the inability of high schools to process transcripts. The Scholarship Fund Trustees reserve the right to award all scholarships by lottery format at the July membership meeting if necessary.